Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Posted by Mike Bidwell on August 9, 2018 at 1:34 pm

I kind of want to share my progress here and hope that others will too.
    At first, I’m just going to describe things I notice. Maybe later, I’ll video it and share a youtube link.

Mainly, I want to know if I’m practicing correctly. I feel like this past year, I have been doing things a little wrong, and with the help of this subscription, I hope to learn how to fix those things.

So, what I have done so far is download all the mp3s and organize them in order of the lessons, then, for my practice, I start at the beginning and go through the exercises. Occasionally I repeat one if I flub it terribly, (which I did quite a bit…I think). Then, I run through them again, followed by the 15 minute warm up. Total time was a little more than an hour.

So, my first day, yesterday, I went through everything, and really struggled from F4 to G#4. Especially on Bratty Neys and Nos. Trouble is, I can do these exercise FINE if I do them loudly. But the minute I lessen the compression, I break and crack. So, yesterday I was a little bummed. But, I had sang in the car the day before and was already tired from it. The Bubbles and Gees feel better though. There’s still a decernible shift in them though as I go through the bridge.

Today, with only yesterday’s practice on my voice, I went through the exercises the same way as yesterday. I honestly felt a slight improvement.
    My question is, with the Bubbles, Goos and Gees, I want Hooty, not full voice, right? Because, on the Nos and Neys, I start as light as I can in full voice and keep it as light as possible in full voice on top. Is that correct.

Like I mentioned I can sing quite high with full compression, but it has to be quite loud. Not screaming or yelling, but loud. I’m sure that’s not right, or maybe it is for louder stuff. Maybe it’s my softer, but full, voice I have to fix.

I want to sing Rock, but I agree with Chuck that I should build the foundation first, and worry abut the Genre after.

So, ya, day 2 was GOOD!

Mike Bidwell replied 5 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 28 Replies
  • 28 Replies
  • Mike Bidwell

August 13, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Hello, my day 3 and 4 notes were lost in a site error, but I can tell you that I felt improvement!.

I have been singing high notes pretty easily for quite a while, but I question whether I’m doing it properly. So, with Chuck’s exercises, I’m trying to keep it light, and that’s where my flaws are exposed! I flip and crack quite a bit, but, I actually have seen some improvement.

The problem last week was I think I sang too much. I did an hour of exercise, but then I sang for fun for quite a while. Singing along with cd’s, etc. Chuck recommended I try to sing new material, so Friday, I tried learning a new tune. Really tired out my voice. So, I took the weekend off.

This morning, I actually finally took the “find your vocal type” thing on the Power To Sing website. My automated results based on my answers were inconclusive because I answered the questions from the aspect of the fact that I CAN sing high. Just questioning if I’m doing it right. I’m anxious to hear what Chuck says I am! So that takes care of Question #2 on the Singers Impact opening page.

For Question #2, I reached C5 with trying to keep my larynx down. At around F#4, my usual break, I noticed a difference there where I focused on the lower larynx and keeping the my throat open, and I was able to climb higher.

I’m going to do it again now, doing it my old way.

Ok, like I thought, I am able to reach A5. After C5, it gets more airy. Or, at least it did today. It’s early here. 10am, and I haven’t sang anything since last week. So, I think once warmed up, I could sound a little fuller that high, but it still sounds odd.

Question #3: My top 2 challenges. First is finding out if the way that I reach high notes is proper. The second is finding the illusive vibrato! I have tried quite a few way, but the way I try to do it now sounds ok. But still not sure, and I can NOT do it that way very high. The only thing that happens naturally is the goat-type vibrato, and I hate that, but the way I do it is it feels like I am moving the larynx ever so slightly to get”something” to start quivering. But, I check my larynx as I do this and it doesn’t seem to move. So, we’ll see.

The more I type, the more I am thinking about recording some of these examples. I does no good to describe all this when only I can hear it!

Ok, now I’m going to practice the exercises from “Sing Higher Than Ever Before”, Lesson 2. (Same as what I started last week).

• Mike Bidwell

August 13, 2018 at 3:58 pm

OK, I can’t believe I’m doing this, but here are 2 videos for critique.

Practice
    Vocal cover song

The first video is of today’s practice. I was so disappointed with how I sang today that I have questions, but without a reference point or an example, it becomes difficult.

As you’ll hear, I struggle to past F. It was the 2nd time through to be fair. The second video I decided to share, not because I think it’s good, but to try to show that I can sing well past F#, but most likely pulled chest. All I do is add more compression/volume and I’m there. I just can’t seem to keep the larynx down.

Also, there is a little vibrato here and there. I’d like to know if that seems to be done correctly.

Please check just past half way especially for the higher notes. That’s where the train wreck occurs!! lol

Today, even with the lip trills, I flipped at F. So, maybe I shouldn’t do any other exercises until it doesn’t flip, right? Because since last week, I have been doing all 13 exercises + the 15 minute warmup.

Chuck, please tell me which exercise(s) to begin with. Obviously “Lip Trills”, but just that, or that and a few others?

I feel like I’m doing too much and expecting change by simply going through the exercises. Maybe I should PERFECT each one before moving on to the next. Or maybe PERFECT the first group, (5 tone scale).

YIKES!! this is the first time I’m sharing my singing with anyone!!

• Colin

August 14, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Hi Michael, when i click your 2 links, im just getting a Youtube exclamation symbol and blank page? Thanks, Colin.

• Mike Bidwell

August 14, 2018 at 10:23 pm

Im a dork!
    Fixed it!

• Colin

August 16, 2018 at 7:12 am

Hi Michael. You have a lovely voice tone and communication. It must have been hard recording yourself, and doing so sitting down. I cant wait to see you do this again after a decent period of time of doing Chucks work. This is only the beginning and sure have loads of talent! Best wishes, Colin.

• Mike Bidwell

August 16, 2018 at 9:28 am

Thanks Colin, I cringe a little watching it, but it really made me even more aware of what I need to work on.

Yesterday, my childhood idol, Steve Perry released a track from his first solo album in like 27 years at the age of 69 no less!! He fronted the rock band Journey, and no doubt you’ve heard their music somewhere.

But, anyway, he’s who I’ve been trying to sing like all my life. After trying to learn this new tune, as well as taking more of Chuck’s advice, I feel I may have made a minor breakthrough!

I have been working on recording some old tunes of mine, so stay tuned. There may be a little sample coming soon.

• Mike Bidwell

August 16, 2018 at 9:33 am

Oh, and I have MS, so I don’t stand to sing very often due to my legs being weak.
    I can stand, and walk well enough, but certain days are worse than others.
    I know, whaaaa, hahaha. I’m livin life though!!

• Mike Bidwell

August 17, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Quick update.

I practiced everyday this week. It’s hard to see your own improvement. But, recording myself helped a lot.
    I think I sounded better today than I did on my videos from Monday of this week. That said, I still think it sounds yucky! I flip a little on the goos and gees and I crack a little on the neys and noes.

I sang a lot this week though. Beyond the exercises I sang some john Legend. Started to learn “All Of Me”.
    Learned a new song from my all time favorite singer, Steve Perry, called “No Erasin'”. Plus I worked on an old original of mine. That upset me the most because I recorded that in a multi-track recording program, and, inside that I could analyse the pitch and I miss sooo many beginnings and ends of notes. Especially short words. Very in accurate. 🙁

But I did try to keep the larynx down, or at least I tried to not let is rise up. I really liked my tone, and it seemed like the larynx is starting to stay lower on it’s own.

@chuck, I would like to let you let you know, the front of my larynx is pretty sore. I don’t know if it’s from keeping the larynx lower or what. Definitely taking the weekend off again. Onward and upward

• Chuck

Administrator
    August 17, 2018 at 6:38 pm

Hi Michael: I watched your videos you posted. May I suggest you stand when you practice? Also another tip, work hard to be aware of the tilt of your head and chin. Make sure you are always practicing with your head and chin level…parallel to the floor. Most of the time as you practiced, your head was tilted back and your chin was up. This isn’t ideal for singing. Last of all, try to lower the loudness as low as you can without breaking into falsetto. Try doing a dopey “goo” and let the sound go hootie as you do the exercise higher. Start out doing it on the 5 tone scale and see if that you can transition into a light, but connected head voice tone.

• Mike Bidwell

August 17, 2018 at 10:40 pm

Haha, Chuck, I knew you’d say that! I have Multiple Sclerosis, and that’s why I sit.
    The reality is that I can stand fairly normal, but it does tire me out more than normal. I will definitely start standing though.

I started raising my head a while back when it seemed to help me “reach” the higher notes.
    I will keep my chin level now.

I will lower the volume. I know right now after the A, it’ll start disconnecting, so I think I’ll just do the Bb, until it stops flipping. The accompaniment goes pretty fast, so I’ll record a slower version and repeat it til I get it! Then add the B and so on.

Thanks sooo much watching the videos. I needed the advice. I got a little defeated this week because everything is sore sore and tired and I’m still pulling chest.

I’ll report back Monday!!

• Jeremy

August 21, 2018 at 7:19 am

Hi Michael, keep at it ! Thanks for posting , it’s always confronting hearing yourself back. Your 2 different takes on the Bratty Neys was interesting. I realise I have been doing some of the second version and oversinging trying to get my head cavities ringing

• Mike Bidwell

August 21, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Thanks @jeremy-cook !
    Ya, I have been singing all my life the wrong way! Well my upper range at least.
    I just figured I had a weird voice. I’m beginning to now understand what’s been wrong.

I’ll get it

• Mike Bidwell

October 3, 2018 at 5:39 pm

@chuck

Checking to see if I’m doing these right.
    I’m sure exercises after this one are built on this and all previous ones being done correctly.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Chuck

Administrator
    October 3, 2018 at 8:08 pm

@michael-bidwell HI Michael: Was there a link to a video/audio? I didn’t see it.
    Chuck

• Mike Bidwell

October 3, 2018 at 8:10 pm

I can NOT multitask!

@chuck

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/PVCWbO4jfMw

Page 1 of 2