Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Tom Tabaczynski

Posted by Tom on July 27, 2022 at 7:57 am

Hello! I play jazz guitar focusing on Bossa Nova, mostly the Tom Jobim/Joao Gilberto “voz e violao” repertoire (Girl from Ipanema, So Nice, How Insensitive, …) .

I like to sing but I’ve never liked my voice when I listen to it recorded. I followed some online courses including most recently the Seth Riggs book and mp3s. I can hear the improvement but still dislike aspects of my voice. Also, I’m a bit confused on the process of getting my voice to a good level.

Because I want to go semi-professional as a guitar player I was focusing on instrumental arrangements of these tunes, but I feel that it’s not enough because the songs are so nice (no pun intended), so I decided to hit my vocal skills one more time and see if I can get it up to a standard that I feel is acceptable in a semi-professional jazz setting (jamming, open mics, busking, or even cafe/cocktail lounge gigs). I sing in both English and original Portuguese.

Doing the exercises for my vocal type I find that I can stay within the Bass vocal range so I’m guessing that’s my range. My vocal type is PCHL, I’ve been doing the exercises for that, and I’m now going through the Singing Higher protocol and will apply it to a couple of tunes, probably How Insensitive and Meditation (Tom Jobim) and will record them.

I’d be interested in getting feedback on what I’m doing, how to apply these courses to my situation and whether private lessons will speed up my progress. One issue that I’m coming up against is the dilemma whether to sing in the original key (of Joao Gilberto who’s a Baritone I think) or lower the key where I’d be more comfortable but where the guitar chords are not as nice, ie., is there an ideal place for a given voice and how to decide on that? Thanks:)

@chuck

Tom replied 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Tom

July 27, 2022 at 1:10 pm

Often to ask a question is to answer it.

I’ve just rewatched Lesson 1 Topics 4-6 of Singing Higher, and I think it answers some of the questions I raised in my self-intro.

If I’m a true Basso then I understand my bridge is between the A on the 3rd string of the guitar, and C on the 2nd string which I understand is the middle C or C4. That seems right for me. The exercises usually end on the G on the 1st string above the middle C for Basso, and that’s where I typically hit a wall.

I’ve been doing the Fast Track for PCHL type, daily for a week now and I’m finding that I’m having little trouble hitting the middle C. Today I’m finding that I have little trouble singing in the original key “How Insensitive” where the highest note is the A, and even “So Nice” or “Corcovado” which go up to the middle C. So I guess I’ll be singing them in the original key. These exercises really do work!!

Second, having recorded myself singing “Corcovado” I noticed the problem with my tone is that in certain places I tend to go nasal and it doesn’t sound good. At some point I believed that to get a Brazilian sound I need to use “the mask” or a more nasal tone but I think this has actually set me back and I do that now out of habit.

Third, if I understand correctly, getting over the bridge is important to develop the power, confidence and improved tone, even when I’m not going much above the bridge. I felt that today, getting up to the middle C and feeling no strain at all!

So for the next week I’ll be working on the Singing Higher course and applying that protocol to these songs and then recording myself. Perhaps I should’ve put these notes in the Member Progress logs section, not sure. Things are moving fast for me:)

@chuck

• Chuck

Administrator
    July 27, 2022 at 3:41 pm

Hi Tom. Even though I’m a Basso Cantante and bridge at the A3, I didn’t discover that until I’d been singing for 17 years. Also, I can vocalize up to F5 and I have sung a C5 in a song…(passing note). At this point in your development, it is too early in my opinion to know for sure about your voice. Your goals are awesome and you I believe you can achieve them. If you are wanting to progress as quickly as possible private lessons will be much faster than self study.

• Tom

August 1, 2022 at 1:06 pm

Hi Chuck, I added you on Skype. Let me know what’s the procedure. According to my data here it’s 9am in your area. @Chuck