Nay nay – losing volume on the octave and a half

• Nay nay – losing volume on the octave and a half

Posted by Adam on June 2, 2023 at 7:25 pm

Hi all, I’m trying the octave and a half on the nays, and I’m losing alot of volume on the higher notes. Any advice out there to keep it more steady?

Chuck replied 9 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Chuck

Organizer
    June 3, 2023 at 10:42 am

0:52

Adam 2 - Ney's

0:52

• Adam

June 3, 2023 at 8:43 pm

Thanks! I gave it a shot starting with the 15 minute from the fast track and staying exaggerated seemed to really help. I also slowed down the recording to give me more time to hit the notes – I think I was rushing before and that was contributing to my breathy higher notes. Follow-up…how do I know if I’m a bass? I finished the fundamentals and fast track, but don’t think we’ve talked through that yet.

• Chuck

Organizer
      June 5, 2023 at 11:32 am

Hi Adam: Bass, Baritone, Tenor etc, is more complicated than just how high or low can you sing. It also has to do with where you bridge, the timbre of your voice, the area in your voice where it tends to thrive and all of these things unfold over time. And much of this changes when you learn how to get into your head voice.

A simple starting point to give you general guidance is your lower ranges. If you can comfortably sing as low as E2, you are likely a bass.