Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Melody

August 17, 2018 at 2:15 am

Is it possible to be flip-falsetto and pulled chest/high larynx? I have challenges related to both these.

• Chuck

Administrator
      August 20, 2018 at 3:00 am

@melody-irish Hi Melody! This is a great question. In many instances, the flip into falsetto is caused by pulling chest and a rising larynx. So, the flip-falsetto will be addressed and fixed by doing the exercises for PC/HL. You haven’t wasted your time with F/F exercises, but you may find a more direct impact on your voice using the exercises for PC/HL.

• Melody

August 22, 2018 at 12:26 am

I agree, Chuck. I originally downloaded the PC/HL exercises, but then thought maybe I would change over to FF. I felt like the PC/HL exercises were hitting the mark. I understand what to feel for and I cannot seem to keep my larynx down, even when I talk, this is a huge problem for me. Days when I do a lot of talking, I end up hoarse. It’s very frustrating. I will switch back to the PC/HL exercises.

• Mike Bidwell

August 22, 2018 at 7:36 pm

Hi @Chuck,

I was noticing something I haven’t heard anyone talk about.
    When singing, should air always be allowed to pass through the nose?
    Obviously, for M’s and N’s, etc, it has to. But for the exercises, especially Gee’s and Goo’s, I noticed that
    I’m almost closing that airflow off.
    Is it something that is focused on?

Mike

• Chuck

Administrator
      August 23, 2018 at 1:28 am

Hi @michael-bidwell, Yes air should be allowed to pass through the nose on the M’s, N’s ng’s, and some French vowels. The important thing is the word “allowed”. Our body will automatically allow the correct thing to happen every time. Where we get into trouble is when we try and manipulate our throat or palate or otherwise try and make something happen. It usually introduces unwanted tension and ends up hurting our singing rather than helping. All the exercises we do, when done correctly will cause the correct things to happen without our managing it. Airflow naturally travels out the mouth on all vowel sounds because the soft palate closes naturally which allows the air to flow out the mouth.

• Melody

October 30, 2018 at 5:55 pm

@chuck – I have been working the lessons in the course and also the exercises for PC/HL and I’ve been transitioning into the exercises for FF. Is it common to feel and hear an almost warble in some of the FF exercises. They are very different from the PC/HL exercises. Thanks!

• Chuck

Administrator
      October 30, 2018 at 9:59 pm

Hi Melody! No, I would say it’s not common to feel or hear a warble. When you say warble, is that kind of a wobble? Is it in your vibrato? Is it in the lower, middle or higher notes? Is it when you hold your notes out in a sustain or is it all notes?

• Melody

November 7, 2018 at 2:30 am

@chuck @michael-bidwell Okay. I’ve figured out utube……I think…….here’s the link https://youtu.be/VImF5_j-Wwg. I made the video unlisted. I hope this works…..

• Chuck

Administrator
          November 8, 2018 at 3:05 am

@Melody-Irish Hi Melody, I tried something a bit different this time. I just listened and made comments when I thought I could help. Here’s the video. I recommend everyone watch it:

• Melody

November 14, 2018 at 3:42 am

Thanks @chuck This was hugely beneficial. I didn’t realize I could change my mouth to encourage the dopey sound. I knew that it was probably pretty airy and the vowel sounds weren’t quite right. I also appreciated your comment about getting back down into chest. I’ve noticed as I work the higher register it’s been challenging to get back into chest. Staying connected is okay, but keeping a full chest sound has been harder. As far as vibrato goes, I have it, I’m just afraid of it. When I sing songs in the shower it’s definitely there, I just don’t know how to incorporate it into my singing in a purposeful way…..if that makes sense.

• Melody

January 17, 2019 at 6:36 pm

@chuck I played a woodwind instrument and to achieve vibrato you use your diaphragm. I have noticed that I do this when I sing. I think it’s just muscle memory from my woodwind days. How do I shut that off and get the vibration to come only through my vocal chords? Thanks!